Android is the mobile operating system available on more than one billion mobile devices. There were many android versions released and the most recent android update is Android 5.0 (Lollipop). Below is the list of android versions and its features from cupcake to Lollipop android version.
Android 1.5 Cupcake
- Linux kernel (version 2.6.27)
- On Screen Keyboard
- Google Applications – Upload Videos to YouTube & Picasa
- Home Screen Widgets – Home screen widgets bundle included Music Player, Calendar, Analog Clock, Picture Frame
- Bluetooth – Auto pairing & Stereo Bluetooth support for A2DP and AVCRP profiles)
- Camera Features – Video Recording & Playback ( MPEG-4 & 3GP Formats)
- Browser – Searching within the page & copy/paste
Android 1.6 Donut
- Linux kernel (version 2.6.29)
- Search framework redesigned – expanded opportunity to third party applications and allowed users to search browsers history, bookmarks, web and contents directly from quick search box from home screen.
- Faster camera experience – camera performance improved by 39% and option to select & delete multiple photos from gallery.
- Battery usage indication – Lists apps and services with battery consumption details.
- Speak string of text – The engine called pico allows any application in android to speak the text.
- Support to CDMA.
Android 2.0 Eclair
- Multiple accounts management – facility to add multiple accounts for email and contact sync
- Browse multiple accounts from same inbox and support for Microsoft exchange.
- Deletion of old message in the message conversion based on defined limit and functionality to search SMS & MMS messages.
- New camera features included like built in flash, zoom, white balance
- Smart keyboard and improved keyboard.
- Browser support for HTML5
Android 2.2 Froyo
- Shortcuts for launcher, browser on the home screen.
- Improved security to include numeric and alpha numeric passwords
- Zoom gesture feature to peek pictures and LED flash to shot in low light/night.
- Connection sharing between two devices using USB cable and support for WIFI hotspot.
- Two way push sync functionality using Android Cloud to Device messaging.
- Option to developer to allow installation on the external SD card ( storage)
Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Enhanced keyboard features – capability to correct the words from the dictionary.
- Power management – list all the apps that are consuming more CPU in the background.
- Support for Near Field Communications
- Ability to download the files from browser, email or any other applications.
- Access to multiple cameras including front camera.
Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Optimized for larger screen size like tablets.
- Recent apps list to quickly jump from one application to other.
- Enhanced Copy, paste and text selection.
- New features in Browser includes “incognito” mode to allow anonymous browsing.
- Two-pane UI in Email & Contacts for better view and organizing.
- Support for multicore processor.
Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich
- Home screen folders to group the apps and shortcuts
- Access the applications without unlocking
- Respond the incoming calls by text messages.
- Spell checker feature that underlines error and suggest for word to replace.
- Manage network data usage.
- Includes Photo editor in the gallery.
- Unlock device using Face Unlock option.
- WIFI Direct to connect directly without internet connection and lets device to share file, display screen between.
- Android beam an NFC based feature lets users to exchange contact, setup multiplayer games, share photos/videos.
Android Jellybean ( 4.1 – 4.3)
- Expandable notifications
- Android beam uses Bluetooth for data transfer
- App widgets on lock screens
- Daydream Screensavers.
- Control on Premium SMS
- Restricted profiles ability for tablets.
- Open GL ES 3.0 for High Performance Graphics.
Android 4.4 Kitkat
- Print any type of content over WIFI
- Media capabilities added –Audio monitoring, Loudness enhancer
- Browse and open documents, images from storage providers
- New transitions framework for high quality animations
- Webview based on chromium
Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Support for 64 bit devices.
- Improved application performance from Android Run time ( ART)
- Support for living room devices.
- Print preview support
- High performance graphics and more powerful audio
- Incoming calls in heads-up notification that allows user to respond or dismiss the call without leaving the application that you are watching or playing.
- USB Audio support to plug USB microphones and speakers.
If you are looking for the detailed features for all the android versions then visit the developer section of android site.